Care and Counseling Groups
Cancer Ministry - Meets Every 3rd Sunday
Cancer challenges not only those diagnosed with it, but also the family, friends and caregivers of those battling the disease. As you go on this journey that you did not choose, the Cancer Care Ministry of First Baptist Church wants to be here to encourage you as you navigate your Journey of Hope.
This ministry meets every third Sunday from 4-6:00 p.m. in Rooms A102-104. Click on our calendar for specific dates.
Questions? Contact Kirk Luecke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want to help you:
- Provide rides to and from doctors, chemo or lab appointments
- Provide 1-2 hour breaks to caregivers by keeping loved ones company or help in running errands
- Provide contacts to assist you with ANY needs
- Offer special informational speakers during our meetings.
NAMI Support Group for Families
New Class begins Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2017 and runs 12 weeks. Class is 6:15-8:45p.
NAMI is a family to family support group that consists of 12 weekly classes structured to help caregivers understand and support individuals with serious mental illness while maintaining their own well-being. The course is taught by trained NAMI volunteers. There is no cost to attend. Over 300,000 people in US, Canada, Mexico, and Italy have completed the program.
Location: Room A107
Leader: Glenda Berg 972-552-9571 for more information.
Pre-Marital & Marital Christian Counseling
Marriage was created by God for the display of His glory and for the joy of His creatures. Through this gift, we are called to consider not only God’s covenantal love but also His incredible patience and unconditional mercy toward His beloved. Because this takes effort and intentionality, we strongly encourage engaged couples to supplement their marriage preparation through formal premarital counseling at least 6 months before your wedding.
Pre-Marital Christian Counseling: All couples about to be married, are taken through a program called FOCCUS: Facilitating Open Couple Communication, Understanding & Study. Some of the topics we cover are Family of Origin, Intimacy, Religion, Spirituality, Value, Communication, Readiness Issues, Problem Solving, Parenting Issues, Friends and Interests.
For Marital & Pre-Marital Christian Counseling contact:
- Kirk Luecke, 214-336-1140, email@example.com
Note: First Baptist Forney provides Christian Pastoral Counseling governed by the local church and not via a state-licensed agency.
- Oneness Prayer Challenge - FamilyLife created the 30-Day Oneness Prayer Challenge. It's a simple tool to help you start a habit of taking up to five minutes a day to join hands and pray together as husband and wife. http://www.familylife.com/onenessprayerchallenge
- Rejoice Marriage Ministries - a nonprofit organization based in Pompano Beach, Florida and encouraging men and women in troubled and broken marriages around the world. Their message is that God heals hurting marriages. https://www.rejoiceministries.org/
- Love & Respect, by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs - “We believe love best motivates a woman and respect most powerfully motivates a man. Research reveals that during marital conflict a husband most often reacts unlovingly when feeling disrespected, and a wife reacts disrespectfully when feeling unloved. We asked 7,000 people the question, ‘When you are in a conflict with your spouse or significant other, do you feel unloved or disrespected?’ 83% of the men said "disrespected" and 72% of the women said "unloved." Though we all need love and respect equally, the felt need differs during conflict, and this difference is as different as pink is from blue!”
- The 5 Love Languages, by Gary Chapman - Between busy schedules and long days, expressing love can fall by the wayside. We forget to compliment, to give gifts “just because,” to linger in our embrace. The things that say “I love you” seem to either not get said or not get through. This is a book about saying it—and hearing it—clearly. No gimmicks. No psychoanalyzing. Just learning to express love in your spouse’s language.
- Love Must Be Tough, by James Dobson - Do you feel like all is lost? Are you ready to give up? There is still hope. Dr. James Dobson's "tough love" principles have proven to be uniquely valuable and effective. Unlike most approaches to marriage crisis, the strategy in this groundbreaking classic does not require the willing cooperation of both spouses. Love Must Be Tough offers the guidance that gives you the best chance of rekindling romance, renewing your relationship, and drawing your partner back into your arms.
- Charlyne Cares Daily Devotion – subscribe online at https://www.rejoiceministries.org/charlyne-cares-daily-devotional/ and receive Charlyne Cares, a daily reminder that God cares and that we care about your marriage. Each morning Charlyne sends a devotional and Bob does a Prodigal Perspective on Tuesdays. These come from someone who has experienced the tragedy of divorce and the triumph of a family restored by God speaking to Charlyne's heart not to give up on their marriage after she divorced Bob. They were married for 19 years before they divorced for 2 years, and then remarried for 23 more years before Bob’s death in 2010.
APPS FOR SMART PHONE:
- The Family Talk App – Dr. James Dobson
- FamilyLife Audio – Dennis and Barbara Rainey
- Holy Bible-YouVersion
We offer confidential, short term help through Christian pastoral counseling. Contact Kirk Luecke for more information.